Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Welcome to our Neighborhood Conversation

Welcome to our new blog Lake Shore Chatter! This is a space for our neighborhood conversation, announcements, concerns and comments. You can join in by commenting on any blog post and if you have a new comment or question on another topic you can e-mail it to website@lapsjax.org. There is also a comment form on the LAPS website you can use for questions or comments and we will address those here as well. Our goal is to make our community a better place for all of us to live through the sharing of our ideas and information. We hope it will be a fun and interesting place and that you'll stop by often. Don't forget to become a fan of our facebook page as well.

A few ground rules as we get started please:

  • Please always be courteous and kind. We are all neighbors in the most literal sense.
  • NO cursing or abusive language please. 
  • Please stay on topic. E-mail the website to start a new one. 
  • Local politics only if you absolutely must go there. There are plenty of other outlets for political expression. This is a place for neighborly conversation. 
Thanks for you cooperation. We look forward to hearing from you!

6 comments:

  1. I have to search my memory and ask some family about different historical facts. Thanks for posting this, brings back old memories. One thing I remember is there was a bakery where Crosby's Appliances is now. I think it was Lake Shore Bakery. My brother used to take me in there to get a bear claw and Dr. Pepper when we went out collecting for our paper route, The Jacksonville Journal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right Carla! I remember the bakery AND getting the Jacksonville Journal. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. More trivia: What is now Barnett's used to be Lovett's Grocery which was later bought out and became Winn-Dixie before W-D moved to the Cedar Hills Shopping Center. Does anyone remember the Toll House bar? It was on Blanding just north of San Juan--where the empty lot is just before Lexington. It burned down when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember it being a Winn Dixie and then it was a carpet store. I don't remember the Toll House bar but I do remember when the Still was a fun place to go and the bar on Blanding & San Juan was a nice neighborhood establishment. Not that I ever frequented those places of course...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you guys remember the Golden Arch which was sort of like a Dreamette where what I still call Denny Morna's was? Also, who used to ride bicycle alley. It is stil an alley although it is overgrown now. I would like to clean it out. What it was originally meant to be was a straight shot down Bayview to the river. It passes through Pinewood and then Cedarwood. also, where Puertaplata is now used to be a drive in restaraunt. Still searching my family and memory for the name of it. The kids that grew up in this area in the late 60's and 70's remember that that wooded area on Lake shore just before Blanding has always been refered to as "the woods". Our playground was the woods, under the bridge, the bowling alley and Lake Shore school when you could climb on the roof. My family who are not involved in LAPS (I should be ashamed) are having great fun remembering these old places. Who remembers the River Raft Race. I have a great story about this endeavor. Build your own rafts and float down Cedar Creek starting at the Duck Pond.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do remember the Golden Arch place but I didn't remember what the name was. The earliest recollection I have of the drive in was when it was the Top Hat. You could go in there and get a frosty mug of root beer for a nickel. Dang, am I old or what?

    ReplyDelete